Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Can you tell them apart?

Every time someone sees the girls for the first time they always ask us if we can tell them apart.  To be honest, for the first 2ish weeks it was crazy hard to tell them apart.  I made them wear their hospital bracelets for a week when we got home just so we could have a back up to know who was who.  I painted Emma's toe nails pink so that was always an easy way to check as well.  Sarah quickly started to gain weight. Much faster then Emma actually; so when we took them to their 2 week appointment, they were in fact the exact same weight, right down to the fraction of an ounce.  At that point it was almost impossible to tell them apart!  As they continued to grow it became easier and easier.  The both actually have birth marks on different parts of their heads so if you are able to see the top of their head, you know for sure who is who now.  If they are awake, I would say we typically can tell them apart 99% of the time just by looking at their faces.  They smile slightly differently and open their eyes differently.  If they are sleeping and have a hat on....geeshh I would have no clue who is who.  I think it has more to do with the fact that when they are awake their different little personalities come out.

It has been weeks since we have gotten the babies mixed up when they are awake. That is until last night! I went to bible study and brought Emma (I take one with me each week) and Sarah stayed home with Jason and the little boys. I got home about 4 hours later and was sitting in the living room while Jason and Sarah were in the dinning room. She woke up and started to fuss and I heard Jason say to her "Little Emma, don't worry, what's wrong?" I thought nothing of it. Honestly, mixing up the names of the kids is not out of the ordinary (sometimes we even call the kids the dog's name). I was watching my show and I heard him refer to her as Emma a few more times and still I thought nothing of it. He then came in the living room and was going to play with Sarah and he looked over at me and a look of confusion crossed his face. He started laughing and said "you will never believe what I did." He had assumed Emma was staying home and hadn't really paid attention or double checked and the entire evening, he thought Emma was home with him. He played with her, called her Emma at least a few dozen times and not once did he realize he had Sarah the entire time.

So yes we can tell them apart.....usually hahahahah!

1 comment: